Household Hazardous Waste Program
IMPORTANT - The HHW online appointment site will be unavailable on Thursday, February 23, for
You may contact our office during regular business hours at 372-6200
to make an appointment or you may call the automated hotline at 363-4718.
The HHW Collection Facility is open year-round every Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the San Mateo facility (except major holiday weekends).
Additional collections are held in several other locations throughout the county.
Make an appointment for any collection that is most convenient for you. This drop-off
disposal service is for residential household hazardous waste from county
If you only have Latex paint, antifreeze, motor oil, oil filters,
automotive batteries, household batteries, or fluorescent tubes, you can check our
list of collection centers for a location nearest you.
- Paint, paint thinner, varnish, and stain;
- Garden, swimming pool, and hobby chemicals;
- Household cleaning products and aerosol spray cans;
- Fluorescent tubes, propane tanks, and automotive products (gasoline);
- Thermometers and other mercury wastes;
Residential fire extinguishers may be discharged
into the regular trash, and then recycled as a plastic or metal container, or you may bring them
into the program by appointment for recycling.
Wastes Not Accepted
*For information on reuse or recycling of these items please visit RecycleWorks for information.
- Business wastes*
- Construction wastes*
- Compressed Gas Cylinders (except propane up to 5 gallons in size)
- Any waste in a container larger than five (5) gallons.
For disposal of all other items please contact our office at
Medical Waste Disposal Information
See our Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) Business Collection Program.
Contact us at